Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cutie four-eyes

For the last year or so, I've been noticing Camille's eye often go crossed (in medical terms, it's call strabismus). I myself have a bit of a cross-eyed/double-vision problem when my eyes are tired, so I probably tend to be overly aware of such things. But it was getting to the point she was cross-eyed half the time or so, and it got worse in the evenings or at the dinner table. We had to wait for the insurance dust to settle since I recently changed jobs, but at last we got her into a pediatric ophthalmologist.
some cross-eyed Iron Man action.
The diagnosis is Accomodative Esotropia, plus she is farsighted (about +3.5). Basically, her eyes are trying too hard. There is a very small chance she will outgrow the farsightedness, but if we keep her in glasses all the time, she will most likely outgrow the strabismus. If the glasses don't work, surgery is a last resort. Regardless, she'll be in glasses for at least the next 10 years or so. I'll admit, I'm probably more bummed than is reasonable.

I mean, she's definitely still adorable, but it's a different kind of adorable. Glasses are now the first thing people will notice about her. Her bright eyes look all distorted behind the frames. Plus the practical side of it: keeping a kid in glasses can be expensive, we'll need to make sure they don't get lost, we'll have to teach her how to clean them, how to dress (always take your glasses off before pulling on shirts), and how to handle hard things like swimming and sleepovers as she gets older.
It doesn't help that I HATE being a glasses-wearer, so I need to be careful about not projecting that onto Camille. So far she seems to like them fine.
Sorry I'm being a bit of a downer; I do recognize how lucky we are to have vision coverage, and access to doctors and technology to help keep it from getting worse. And that we noticed it early on, and is treatable. It could be so so so much worse. I get that. I'm just... adjusting still. Apparently I wrapped up quite a bit in how Camille looks and is perceived.
I will say, she's been a champ. We've had ZERO problems getting her to keep them on- from the very start she's been awesome. The frames are a tad wide for her face, but from the sounds of it we'll go through a lot of glasses (even if we don't lose or break them, little heads and little eyes grow quickly). She is still such a cutie and likes to show off her glasses- which is just as well since EVERY person we run into comments on them.
In other news, we figured out that the "cradle cap" on her scalp was in fact excema, and was keeping her hair from really growing in on top. Hopefully now the top can catch up to the sides.

On a side note, if any parents of toddlers in glasses have any insight, it's all appreciated at this point. I didn't have glasses til I was 12 (and am nearsighted, not farsighted).

6 comments:

Margie said...

She's still pretty darn adorable. :) Paige just got hers last year so not quite toddler age but still young. We got them on the wide side as well and I kind of wish I didn't because they weren't fitted to her properly and she is already in need of a new prescription. But hang in there. Can they do contacts for cross eyes or only glasses? And Lasik was really a lot easier then I feared when I had it a few years ago.

LifeAsAConvert said...

I have had 1 in glasses for nearly his whole life and now number 2 is in glasses as well.. Number 1 was around 3 years old when he got his glasses and he was fabulous with them. Everytime he gets a new prescription (which happens to be every year) we get an extra pair to have as backup. We have lost many pair and even broken a few, we are lucky to have insurance that will cover most of the costs associated with the glasses. He gets new glasses every year.

My number 2 in glasses just got hers recently and its a chore to get her to keep them on. She is 4. she was super excited to get them, but now facing the reality of it isnt so appealing.

Lori said...

Any time you feel down about it, just remember how livid you were when you first got glasses and realized that THIS is what the rest of the world had been experiencing this whole time. This will help her in so many ways and the fact that you have them on will help her feel cool for being like mommy.
Still adjusting to Addie's teeth, i totally get how you feel about such a big, semi-permanent change that you wouldn't ever wish to have had. I'm glad that she's excited about it though and you'll just need to ride that wave with her. She is a cutie patootie for sure and glasses will just accessorize her that much more.

Lisa said...

I can't believe how much Camille looks like you. She is adorable! I always think that kids in glasses are just so cute. I'm sure it's an adjustment, though.

Samantha said...

Major kudos for catching it so early. Both of your children are absolutely adorable! And it is totally fine to be bummed - as a parent we want only the best things for a babies. It is hard to see them have to deal with the less than ideal.

Patricia Jean said...

You daughter Camille is lovely Mrs. Kunz with a strong spark of and for life I see :)

My youngest son was nine months old when he began wearing glasses. The Doctor order plastic glasses so not to damage his nose. They had just one style for babies that young.

Bob had to undergo patching every day during his first four years until he had his surgery. His school was a horror, if I forgot his glasses. I know because I did one day, however because it was my first time. They did not call Child Welfare on me.

Did I understand correctly that your little Camille doesn’t need patching? That was another horror show. Bob preferred his glasses to the patch. Sometimes we would sit together and cry about having to patch his left eye. Then we would dry our tears and patch away. I don’t wish that on any child, mother, father or family.

For Bob wearing his glasses was hardest right before he got his driver’s license. He was worried that he might have to wear them while driving. I told him to take them with him for the tests and if he had problems then put them on. Today, he is a successful educated young man reads like a sieve, and doesn’t wear glasses.

The coming years and battles may be hard but from one mother warrior I can assure you. All the battles are worthwhile and many great memories will be made, I promise you. My very best to you and your family.